From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:49:09 -0400
Eric,

If a sighted ham waits till he sees flashes of lightening before
disconnecting, he has waited too long.
I'm not sure I agree 100 percent with the posts saying you have nothing to
worry about with a small antenna close to the ground.   Don't forget that a
close by hit on a  tree, utility pole, neighbors house, etc.  will  put a
surge into surrounding objects, like your antenna.  This surge won't turn
your rig into a smoking pile of junk, but can blow out the front end of your
receiver.

Be smart and disconnect when not in use.  Perhaps spend 50 bucks on  a coax
suppressor from  Alpha Delta, ICE, or Polyphaser for a  little peace of
mind.

You can stay connected for 20  years and  never have a problem, or you can
get your rig fried a week from  next  Tuesday.   Figure your odds and take
your chances.

Have fun, Steve KW3A