From:
Bob Humbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:53:39 -0800
Thanks rich,

Well, obviously I don't drive and so a mobile unit wouldn't be practical and
I am just guessing but I imagine that larger desktop units give you more
bang for the buck than a hand held.  Is the Kenwood of which you spoke a
desktop?  I hear you folks talking about speech cars for the Kenwood etc;
just how much and what information is spoken?

There are 2 large batteries on my wife's old scooter that I keep charged and
she has 2 batteries on her power chair and so if we have that really big
earth quake everyone keeps talking about I will have plenty of emergency
radio power.  I live at the base of the mountains in the desert half way
between L.A. and Palm Springs.  The big earth quake will no doubt take out
all of the cell phones and repeater towers.  That is why I think I should
have some access to HF.  Yes, I know, I will need a general license for that
but as soon as I get a refresher course in math I think I can handle the
general exam too.  I haven't used math for anything other than balancing a
checkbook since school days.

Is there a website for adapted equipment or a catalogue for us blind folks?
thanks again for all of your help.

Bob