From:
Keith Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:53:23 -0000
Hi Howard,

I think the issue is one of repairs, if necessary.

Take the old drake gear, most amateurs and service departments would
find nothing in a drake unit that they could not deal with.

The new gear is full of surface mount components.  Most amateurs
today are frightened to take the lid off never mind a soldering iron going
anywhere near it.

So, you may find yourself needing to use the main dealers for repairs.

Certainly in the uk, repair prices are increasing and the price of new gear
is getting cheaper so, there comes a point where the item is throw away.

As an example, none of the dealers in the uk are interested in repairing
a ts-940, much younger than your drake.

I still have some old kw gear which I have as a spare and use from time
to time.  This continues to work thanks to the generosity of my friends
but the same friends would not take the covers off the ts-950.

Just my thoughts.

On 17 Dec 2004 at 17:54, Howard Kaufman wrote:

> ts-950 getting old?  I just bought a 480 6 months ago.  I used my drake
> c-line for 25 years.  Are you telling me not to expect 25 years out of the
> radio I just bought?

Keith

- -

Keith Barrett