From:
Lorraine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:28:04 -0400
Don't know who wrote the original message (I'm a little behind). I was
having a freezing problem after two years of glitch-free existence. Tried
everything. Turned out the CPU was running too fast - computer shop sold me
a new motherboard, and the problem vanished. Computershop had three or four
of the same (previous misbehaving) motherboards as mine in the back, all
doing weird glitchy intermittent freezing things at various times.
Something about a failing capacitor allowing the CPU to get hyperactive.
Sometimes a software-looking problem is a hardware-type problem. Famous
last words?
-Lorraine Shantz

At 04:41 PM 07/09/2004, you wrote:
>HI,
>
>Keyword:  ATHLON
>
>Thy a different Video card!
>
>Thanks and have a Great Day!
>
>Joe Lore
>=============================
>Hello Everyone,
>

>I'm running Windows XP on a Compaq computer. The Motherboard is a FIC
>Athlon XP 2000MHz (15x133) 2400+ and the BIOS Type is (Award 03-17-03).
>Phoenix Tech.
>
>I received this computer from my grandchild to help solve the freezing
>and locking up problem that has plagued this computer for quit some time
>now.
>
>The first thing I formatted the 40 Gig hard drive and clean installed
>Win XP and ran Defrag, and is showing 98% free, still freezing up. The
>computer had 128 MBs of Ram and I purchased and installed from Crucial a
>512 MB stick. The computer is still freezing up. I'm running with the
>side panel off, all the fans are clean and are working ok. The Everest
>program that I installed is reporting that the Motherboard is running at
>(91 deg F, CPU at 120 deg F, and Aux is at 48 deg F) I don't know if
>these are normal running temps or not.
>
>Do you think it could be the power supply (how can I test this), the
>motherboard BIOS or the hard drive?  Or something els...........

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml