From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:32:21 -0800
On 12 Feb 2005 at 16:25, Beth Bolton wrote:

> I have been sold (by Dells' upgrade supplier, who knew what PC I was using)
> a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G wireless router.  It came with a PCMCIA card.
>
> I have followed the CD instructions and installed the Network Adaptor on my
> Dell Dimension 4100.  I now need to put the PCMCIA into the computer but it
> doesn't look like it will fit into the existing PCI slot - or if it does, it
> will only be held in place by itself with no support on either side.
>
> Does the Dimension 4100 need some sort of adapter to hold the card or have I
> been sold the wrong thing?
>
> (Dells' upgrade supplier failed to include the adapter they said I needed to
> network my desktop to a laptop, so I've already spent three hours today
> driving to buy one....)

  You can find PCI cards which provide a PCMCIA/PCCARD/CARDBUS slot, for use
in machines which do not already have one.  (Most laptops include one or
two; few larger machines do.)
  I don't have a definitive stance on whether this approach is better or
worse than using a one-piece wireless PCI card.  There could be some
convenience in being able to remove the PCMCIA wireless module without
opening up the case, although a USB wireless adapter also offers this
capability.

  The descriptions I can find online of this router don't mention it
including a PCMCIA card.  I expect that whatever adapter you've already
installed is all your 4100 needs, but you may be able to use the PCMCIA card
in your laptop.

David Gillett