From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:28:44 +0100
On Jul 24, 2004, at 7:52 pm, Mike wrote:
> I follow the paleo lifestyle to feel healthy and strong and,
> yes, to look good. Eating less in general leads to decreased
> metabolism, so
> I have no interest in trying to do so.

I'm not sure there is a connection between the amount you eat and how
healthy and strong you either are, or feel you are.  Some people do
feel weak if they don't eat much, but others survive on very little.  I
always thought a decreased metabolism was a good thing too- calorific
restriction can significantly increase your lifespan.  It was also my
impression that a low-calorie diet was more paleo, seeing as all the
wild animals I'm aware of only find enough food to get by (excess food
allows an increased predator population, which increases competition
for food).  I've adjusted slowly to a low-cal diet, and it doesn't seem
to affect me in any negative ways.  I think limiting my fruit and nut
intake in the day helps.

> If I were in your shoes, I'd be
> approaching your problem from the opposite perspective: trying to find
> the
> cheapest paleo food I could while also trying to increase my ability to
> purchase better and more plentiful food. Taking an additional job
> would be
> something I'd consider (and have done).

Unfortunately, it seems the cheaper your food, the less paleo.  Organic
food is far from ideal but it's better than intensively-raised food.
Right now, the cheapest food I can find actually is the best-
raspberries, blackberries, apples and rhubarb are all in season about
this time, and I pick stuff either from my parents' garden or from
places I know.  I wish I knew how and where to find other wild food in
the UK (near me of course).

Ashley