From:
Jean Risman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 10:48:37 -0400
I would recommend that your friend read Dr Bernstein's book "Diabetes
Solution: The complete guide to achieveing normal blood sugars" You can find
out more about it at http://www.diabetes-book.com/.

It is a controlled low carb eating plan that meshes very well with a paleo
diet.  Bernstein says that no fruit is good for you. They all elevate blood
glucose levels quickly, which then leads to increased release of insulin. I
have type 2 diabetes and I follow his plan which allows 6 carbs at
breakfast, and 12 carbs at both lunch and dinner. I do allow myself small
amounts of blueberries. The eating can be fined tuned for every individual
by frequent monitoring of blood glucose levels. It takes some amount of
commitment to follow, but I have found it's pretty easy to do once it
becomes habitual.

Dr Bernstein is a type 1 diabetic who has controlled his blood glucose
levels at near normal level for many years using strict carbohydrate
control. This kind of diet can radically lower cholesterol levels without
the nasty side effects of statin drugs. Of course traditional MD's generally
dont agree but I'm banking on it. Type 2 does not turn into type 1, although
some type 2 diabetics do need insulin to control their blood glucose levels.
It's all quite well explained in the book.

Jean