From:
Paul Pehrson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Pehrson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 15:34:18 -0600

I have a question about the proposed allergen-labeling bills going
through Congress. (I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this
question.)

I read the following on
http://capwiz.com/celiac/issues/alert/?alertid=5316291:

>Specifically, the bills require:
>
>- food labels to list the top 8 food allergens -- peanuts, tree nuts,
fish, Crustacean shellfish, eggs, milk, soy, and wheat >

>- the allergens to be listed in everyday terminology.
>
>- spices, flavorings, and certain colorings and additives to be
labeled if allergens are present.

>- the FDA to issue rules defining and permitting the use of the term
gluten-free on food labeling.

>- food labels to meet these requirements by January 2006.

Here, then, is my question: does this legislation cover "gluten" or
just "wheat"? If it just covers wheat, then what does the Celiac
community benefit? We still have to know if foods contain other gluten
sources. I guess it will help clarify the "modified food starch" issue,
but it seems that the bill would be a lot better for us celiacs if
gluten were identified; not just wheat.

Any thoughts on this? (I'll summarize in a later post).

-Paul Pehrson
Spanish Fork, UT