ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:23:53 -0600
Below is Paul's response to me on my question about spiritism.
Think he covered it well.  There is a bunch of this kind of thing in movies
and there has been for many years now.  Dead family members comunicating
with those left behind and such as that.
It's like tv and movies are saying, if you can't deal with the death of a
loved one, we will put out a show showing someone comunicating with a dead
relative and getting comfort in this way instead of just telling you, people
die, it is natural and if they were good they went to heaven and you will
see them again.
Talk to god about your greaf and work through it.
The daughter of my cousin who died in that plane crash claimed to be in
contact with him after his death.

Paul's message follows.

Hey, Matt

Spiritism means communicating with the dead (as you were hinting at with the
word channeling).  You know, all those crazy shows these days where people
claim to put other people in touch with their dead relatives.  Those people
who try to contact the dead are Spiritists.  I think what Jimmy Evans is
talking about are movies like Ghost where contacting the dead was shown to
be something wonderful and nice when it's not.  And Harry Potter where
sorcery and magic are portrayed as innocent and fun.  They are also called
Mediums or those that cast spells.  The Bible tells us this is something to
stay away from.

Leviticus 20:27 says:  'Now a man or a woman who is a medium or a spiritist
shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones, their
bloodguiltiness is upon them.' "

and

Deuteronomy 18:9 thru 14 says

"When you enter the land which the LORD your God gives you, you shall not
learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. "There shall not be
found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the
fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who
interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a
spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. "For whoever does these things is
detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your
God will drive them out before you. "You shall be blameless before the LORD
your God. "For those nations, which you shall dispossess, listen to those
who practice witchcraft and to diviners, but as for you, the LORD your God
has not allowed you to do so."

In other words, GOD gave Israel to the Jewish people because the people who
were there before them were worshipping demons.  So He threw the demon
worshippers out and gave the land to the Jewish people.  He told them they
must never do the same thing the other people did by worshipping demons.

Paul