From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 19:25:00 -0500
I was wondering how all of you handle social functions. We took a train ride
through the hill country today. One of our friends rented the caboose and
invited us as well as 4 other friends. Everybody brought snacks and drinks.
The things people brought were regular sodas, diet sodas, lemonade (with
real sugar), pretzels, other various chips and crackers, oatmeal crème pies,
etc.

Then we went to lunch and most people ordered hamburgers on Texas toast with
a side of potato chips. The only thing I could eat there due to food
allergies was a dinner salad but when they brought it there was cheese in
several areas and I had to give it back (allergic to cow milk and
derivatives). After lunch some of the people bought fudge and ate it back on
the train.

Anyway, when you go to social functions, do you ever give in or feel
deprived? I didn't give in and had some of the chicken and coconut oil I had
brought but I have to say I felt somewhat deprived. Sometimes I do and
sometimes I don't. How do you handle these situations and do you ever feel
weird being the odd ball out? Granted, with food allergies it's a little
more challenging, but even if I had ordered a hamburger on lettuce I would
have stood out.

Thanks for any input,
Kristina