Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 22:28:11 -0400
Hi.  I'm a new list member.

I'm confused about two things.  Oils, and calcium.

Can you all tell me what fats you use, and why?  Specifically I've seen where some people say yes to coconut oil, and others say no.  Flaxseed oil?  Fish oil capsules?  Cod liver oil?  Canola?  Ray Peets, Enig, Cordain, etc---who do you go by?

So far, I've been using for my fats, other than what occurs in my foods, mostly coconut oil (very pure), extra virgin olive oil, almond butter, and occasionally just a little butter.

I'm mostly wondering if coconut oil is ok, and if I should take cod liver oil/fish oil capsules.  Peats doesn't like the cod liver oil.  Cordain doesn't like coconut oil, if I recall correctly.  It's hard to know which way to go? As far as meat fat, I'm hoping to order grassfed beef before long.

The other issue for me is calcium.  I just messed up by taking calcium supplements along with my digoxin I take for my heart.  Turns out that's a bad idea.  It interferred with my heart meds and I had tachs.  My doctor said to discontinue it. So, how do I get calcium?  I worked hard to learn to eat collards.  So I'm eating more dark leafies.  But given the available calcium is affected a lot by the oxalate acid content, I see where most of the dark leafies are also high in oxalates.  If I go dairy-free (which has really helped me so far, with various issues), and don't want to take supplements because of my digoxin, how do I get it if the dark leafies are not a great source because of oxalates?  I can get some from canned salmon with bones, but I'm going to be ordering wildcaught and the price is so high that I can't see where I can get enough from that.  I can take calcium-fortified orange juice but dont' want to drink much juice, and still have to keep it separate from taking my pill.  And my stomach is sensitive to acids.  It seems like if I give up dairy I've given up a lot alakline, re the whole acid/alakaline thing which I'm just beginning to look at.  I'm a 43 yr old woman having signs of early menopause, so calcium is a concern.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rose