From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:10:10 -0700
Personally I like this guy's take on fats.Main thing is to make sure the
fats and oils you use are real and unprocessed. I mean if it takes
numerous chemical extraction techniques including high heat and chemical
solvents to get to the oil(includes most polyunsaturated vegetable
oils), the result is probably not good to eat.

Liz

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9293470
Med Hypotheses.  1997 Sep;49(3):247-61.

Balanced intakes of natural triglycerides for optimum nutrition: an
evolutionary and phytochemical perspective.

Broadhurst CL.

22nd Century Nutrition, Inc., Herbal Vineyard, Inc., Cloverly, MD
20905-4007, USA. [log in to unmask]

Natural whole foods contain fats as structural components, and have a
balance of polyunsaturated fat, monounsaturated fat, and saturated fat.
Since we are still a Paleolithic species, adapted to eating only wild
foods, it is difficult to justify the consumption of anything other than
an overall balance of triglyceride/phospholipid types in an evolutionary
sense. No natural fats are intrinsically good or bad--it is the
proportions that matter. Variety is recommended in dietary lipid
structure, degree of saturation, and chain length. Pathological n-3/n-6
polyunsaturated fat imbalance, obesity, and progressive glucose
intolerance are consequences of adopting cereal grain based diets by
both humans and livestock. Food processing and refining amplify these
problems. Excessive concerns regarding polyunsaturated fat peroxidation
in vivo are not warranted when trigylcerides are balanced and normal
diets are consumed. Numerous phytochemicals present in unrefined oils,
fruits, vegetables, and herbs afford significant protection from lipid
peroxidation and chronic disease.

PMID: 9293470 [PubMed]

  On Saturday, May 8, 2004, at 07:28 PM, Rose wrote:

  Can you all tell me what fats you use, and why?  Specifically I've
  seen where some people say yes to coconut oil, and others say no.
  Flaxseed oil?  Fish oil capsules?  Cod liver oil?  Canola?  Ray Peets,
  Enig, Cordain, etc---who do you go by?