ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:45:42 -0500
Hello Brad,

I just looked up the word adulterate in the dictionary.  That is the word
from which the word adultery comes.  This is what I found:
To make impure by adding extraneous, improper, or inferior ingredients.
and Synonyms: adulterate, debase, doctor, load
These verbs mean to make impure or inferior by adding foreign substances to
something: adulterate coffee with ground acorns; silver debased with
copper; doctored the wine with water; rag paper loaded with wood fiber.

When a spouse commits adultery, this is what happens to the marriage
relationship if I am understanding correctly.  I read it as saying that the
marriage is made inferior by adding foreign substances or other people
or  distractions from it.

Can it be said then that the abuse and neglect which comes when a spouse is
in a continual state of drunkenness or drug use, that a foreign substance
has been added to that marriage relationship, causing it to be inferior to
what God intended?  Not necessarily the chemical content of the alcohol,
but the consequences brought about by it.  A marriage relationship can be
so diluted that there is not much left that is of the Lord.

Perhaps this sounds far fetched, but just sharing my thoughts.

Helen

000