From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:25:33 -0500
(1) A fellow named Jim Poitivient in New Jersey makes a battery-pack cum
power supply for TransOceanics.  Takes 10 D-cells and on alkalines can
run the radio for something like 47 hours -- pretty respectable albeit
not quite the two hundred hours of the original packs -- but then 10
D-cells cost a lot less.  The power supply is *extremely* quiet with no
RF from the switching transistors -- it really feels and sounds like you
have an original TO pack in there.  And for a nominal additional price,
he'll throw in a battery box you can put the supply in that looks and
feels like the original To Z985X (or whatever the number was) battery
pack.  The pack runs about $90; I have several powering TOs.  It's great
to hear them working as originally intended.  You may reach Jim at:

(2) Antique Electronics Supply has a plethora of 1.5-volt-filament tubes
including 1L6's and although the latter are expensive, most of the tubes
are still *very* reasonable -- $4 or so.  Look at

http://www.tubesandmore.com

Great stuff!

Mike Freeman