C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:21:41 -0400
I think Bobby meant that it's difficult to accept help in that we "despise"
being thought of as "needy" in physical ways.  In some ways, I think there's
greater emotional lability for someone who has "passed" for years and now
must not only come to terms with needing help, but also knowing that others
see you as needing help.  Ours is, and has been, a culture that looks for
physical norms--as do most cultures.  In fact, having some experience in
developing countries, ours is probably one of the more accepting of the
disabled.  It's no big news flash that other cultures (as opposed to
official nation-states--big diff) ostracize their disabled--or worse.  Our
own standards are a reflection, I think, of our mass-media and our cultural
infatuation with media super-stars.

Kyle

(Does anyone here really give a rat's arse about "Bennifer"?  Sadly, many
do.)