C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:57:05 +1200
Hi,

I am Jeremy, a 29 year old New Zealander with CP.  I have been a lurker on this list for a long
time, and a very occasional poster.  The list has been a fantastic place to see how different
people live with CP, and to realise that my experiences with it are not unique.

I studied computing after leaving school, and since graduating have worked at a couple of software
development companies.  Work has enabled me to save up and build a house which I have lived in for
nearly two years now.  Leaving my parents was probably one of the scariest things I did, but it is
also one of the best things I did.  I am independent as far as personal care goes, and get 1.5
hours a day help to do the cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc.

Like a lot of people on the list I have noticed a gradual deterioration in my abilities as I get
older.  It is just little things, less energy, less coordination, things take longer, aching joints
and more spasms.  So far, I have been able to adapt and cover for these things, and I am fortunate
to have a very accommodating employer who lets me work at home a lot.

However, taking 3-4 hours and a truck load of energy just to get ready for work in the morning is
starting to become a problem (-:  I have showered and dressed myself since I was 11 or 12, and I am
having trouble coming to terms with the fact that I really need help with this now.  Being stubborn
and pig-headed doesn't help when it comes to accepting more help either!

I realise that it is going to happen one day, and life will probably be a lot easier once I do get
some help in the morning.  I won't be so damn tired and might have the energy for a social life
again for a start!  The sensible bits (not to mention family and friends) say I should have asked
for more help a long time ago, other bits say wait until I break something getting in the shower.

How have other people dealt with needing personal care?

I know it is going to happen soon.  I just thought that talking to some other people about it would
help me along the way,
Thanks for listening,

Jeremy

Jeremy Persen, Nelson, New Zealand