From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:31:11 -0400
"Theola Walden Baker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > I've eaten up to half a pound of pecans,
> > walnuts, and brazil nuts a day without gaining weight and
> > often losing weight.
>
> you're a man with greater
> caloric needs,...I'm a middle-aged woman...
> ...half-pound of nuts at a sitting...puts weight on me.

I didn't eat that much at a sitting. I also was eating
very low-carb at the time: meats, eggs, green veggies,
berries, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocados, raw butter and
cheese, nuts and seeds...)

> I've loved all kinds of nuts..., but before going paleo I
> limited my intake strictly to late fall & winter because
> I always gained weight on them.

That may have more to do with not being paleo than the
nuts. I challenge anyone to get fat eating raw coconut
or unprocessed virgin coconut oil.

> > As long as you don't eat nuts to the
> > exclusion of other foods (esp meat, poultry, seafood, and
> > eggs), don't worry about it.
>
> ... I will tend to do this. ...eat regular meals in addition
> to pigging out on nuts, ...my caloric intake greatly exceeds
> a day's expenditure.

The calorie theory relies on the amount of energy produced
when food burns in a calorimeter. It has very little to do
with how our bodies use food. We can't predict weight loss
or gain based on calorie intake alone. The metabolism will
often increase when we eat more or slow down when when we
eat less. The reverse may also happen. It depends on what,
when, and how we eat.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/fat/chap2.htm
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/avenue/abw35/calor.html

-Bruce Kleisner