From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:35:23 -0500
> These morbidity statistics are too old to be useful

So you are saying babies have adapted to bottle feeding?

You have to keep in mind that SIDS has been linked to vaccinations, but
given a very large study produced the results provided for the bottle fed
babies vs. breast fed mortality rate, it cannot all be blamed on
vaccinations. Here is recent research pointing out the exact same thing as
that tired old data:

* WHO study on infant mortality: The analysis shows that infants who are not
breastfed have a 6-fold greater risk of dying from infectious diseases in
the first 2 months of life than those who are breastfed.

* Studies have shown that infants who were never breastfed may have two to
three times the risk of dying of SIDS. Breastfeeding's protective effect has
been confirmed by research in New Zealand (Mitchell 1991), England (Fleming
1994), and the United States (Hoffman 1988)

* Epidemiologic research shows human milk and breastfeeding of infants
provide advantages with regard to general health, growth, and development,
while significantly decreasing a large number of acute and chronic diseases.
Research in the United States, Canada, Europe, and other developed
countries, provides strong evidence that human milk feeding decreases the
incidence and/or severity of diarrhea, lower respiratory infection, otitis
media, bacteremia, bacterial meningitis, botulism, urinary tract infection,
and necrotizing entrocolitis. There are a number of studies that show a
possible protective effect of human milk feeding against Sudden Infant Death
Syndrome, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, Cohn's disease, ulcerated
colitis, lymphoma, allergic diseases, and other chronic digestive diseases.
American Academy of Pediatrics Policy State on Breastfeeding Pediatrics, Vol
100, Number 6 December 1997

* info.ihs.gov/Health/Health12.pdf = SIDS is the third leading cause of
infant death in America

One other point is that old research just about has to be used because that
study would have never taken place today. The formula manufactures would
never allow it.

>-- these crazy
> people did starve their baby. Give me a break - wheat grass, coconut
> water and almond milk wouldn't keep any mammal alive. There's so many
> missing nutrients. There's no way I believe the other children live on
> this same diet.
>
> Namaste, Liz

In the past two years I have at seen least two cases of babies who starved
to death while breast feeding. Do you suggest that everyone go to bottle
feeding when it has a *documented* increase in not only death of
babies but disease in babies?

Again, breast milk is the only food an infant should have. To do
anything else carries a documented risk to the child.

And as far as being "paleo" breast milk is about as paleo as
you can get for babies.

Jay