From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:52:17 -0500
To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Just the way protein structure is altered
> by cooking, the same thing happens to dietary fiber.  There isn't any
> less - it is just digested more easily.

I would really have to question the knowledge of whoever wrote
that. Fiber is like an intestinal broom and is responsible for
moving things through the intestines. If you cook fiber it
turns to mush. Get a picture in your mind of eating a carrot
raw and then get a picture of eating a serving of boiled carrots.
Imagine the difference between the textures of the two as
you chew and swallow these carrots and try to figure out in
your mind which one would move through your intestines
better. The choice, of course, is obvious.

Susan Mitchell, a Florida dietitian and co-author of
"Eat to Stay Young," made the comment, "To be blunt what I
find is lots of people who have such a low intake of fiber that they
have tons of hemorrhoids and tons of constipation."

And no doubt, the fiber most Americans are getting has
been cooked to death and hardly qualifies as fiber. I
don't know of the validity of this statement, but I have
heard that the number one over the counter drug sold
in America is laxatives. Anyone care to confirm or
set me straight on that one?

Jay Banks
www.roadtowellsville.com
www.vitaminb17.org