From:
Mike Raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:56:35 -0400
>On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 05:28  AM, Mike Raiti wrote:
>>
>>From my own personal experience I had blood work done last year.
>>While I don't have the results in front of me I can summarize.  My
>>LDL and cholesterol were in a very desirable range, but my HDL was
>>why too low.
>

>My biggest non-paleo foods were lots of cream and butter. I also ate
>lots of very fatty pork. The high saturated fat probably is what lifted
>my ldl cholesterol so high. I am trying to eat a similar high fat and
>meat diet but with no cream and less saturated fat to see what happens.
>I have a check in two months. So I am eating more avocados, fish and
>olive oil these days.

>By the way, while I don't have asthma, I do have spring hay fever.
>Paleo, low carb and running cured me. Staying very low carb during the
>pollen season is the key.

The last 2 years have been the worst for me.  During both
spring/summers I was eating a fairly high complex carbo diet (rice,
oatmeal, whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes).  This past summer I did
cut back for a time on carbs with very good results.  Then I started
exercising which greatly stimulated by appetite which I satisfied
with carbs.  Needless to say that my allergy and asthma problems
returned.   Next spring will be the test, when grasses become a
problem.  I have avoided eating grains completely during the past 3
days.  My nasal sinuses are much clearer.  I have been eaten slightly
more fruit.  I had a pear today and felt some problems starting up,
although they ended up subsiding.  I am able to eat a lot of grapes
with no apparent problems.  Three days is not much but my initial
feeling is that my body feels somewhat better with my food choices.

I have a couple of questions about your choice of fat - which you
mention as avocados, fish and olive oil.   Do you cook with olive oil
(sautee)?  Is there anything negative about Hemp Seed Oil.  Those two
along with sunflower seed butter have been my main sources of fat for
probably over a couple of years.  In the past I was also eating a lot
of fish and a small amount of oven roasted nuts.  I am wondering
about my the effects of my choices regarding fats on my asthma as
well as any links to cancer or other diseases.

Currently I am receiving an allergy treatment called Low Dosage
Antigen which is supposed to desensitize an individual to over 300
common allergens.  I get an injection once every 2 months.  Gradually
the time between injections is supposed to be increased as symptoms
lessen until after about 4 years an individual only needs one
injection per year.  I have received 4 injections so far with
minimal, if any, difference noticed.