Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:18:20 -0700
--- Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I think that's what it comes down to: It's probably
> wash.  Moderate wine consumption shouldn't be touted
> as healthy.  It shouldn't be touted as bad for you.

It's hardly a "wash." The preponderence of the
evidence points to health benefits from moderate
consumption. The Bristol study is the only exception,
and even that study fails to show any negative health
consequences from moderate consumption!

The other article you cited (about the French Paradox)
does not represent evidence one way or the other; it's
merely someone's theory which may or may not be true,
depending on what the future holds for the health of
the French.

You seem to think that if one or two authorities
question the conclusions drawn from the majority of
research studies, that this somehow invalidates the
majority. This is not true. There are always those who
will question the consensus. But so what? Only real
*evidence* counts, Jim, and so far there is no
evidence whatsoever that moderate consumption is
unhealthful, and plenty of evidence that it is
healthful.

-gts