From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:17:24 -0500
andrew > "yes, but there is one, or actually two, more complicating issues. 1. is
the additives in commercial wines, ciders and beers. you may well be
sensitive to some of them as this is incredibly common.  2. is the
cogeners: peptides and other chemical 'detritus' that arises during
production. This is why one red wine may go down great and another causes
the worse-than-death hangover. They are present in milligram amounts but
that's all it needs if u are reactive to them.

All in all, you will get much more mileage for less damage with homebrew."

My problem is not the hangover, it's not getting the signal to stop at two
drinks.  Would you with a straight face propose that the "additives" and
"cogeners" in the commercial wine I'm drinking mask the signal?  (I know
you're not proposing that there's no need to get the signal, that no
amount of alcohol is bad for you).