From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:36:26 +0200
Tom Bridgeland wrote:

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2986922.stm
>
> Vitamin E worthless, A and Beta carotene risky. Hmmm. Who to believe,
> who to believe....

There are 8 different forms of Vitamin e, 4 tocopherols and 4
tocotrienols. In supplements there is only one, synthetic
alpha-tocopherol. I think it's not unreasonable to suspect synthetic
forms and metabolites found in most supplements as to be less advantageous.
Synthetic alpha-tocopherol has "some vitamin E activity". It can prevent
absolute defficiencies. But can it lead to an optimal supply? I doubt
it. Why should the plants make all the different forms then? They will
have some specialized use.

The same concerns apply to synthetic B-Vitamins as well ,I think.
The form of thiamin and riboflavin found in supplements is "always" a
derivate which has to be converted in the body to the active form.
Which in turn sometimes requires the presence of other vitamins.

I think the best is to eat food items which have the vitamins naturally
occuring. The safe natural way.
Much better as to blech out and extract out all vitamins  of an oil
and then, later, add some pills with a synthetic derivate of single
vitamins.

Vitamin E and heart disease: oxidation (of cholesterol) seems to be one
threat in heart disease. Can it be prevented by vitamin E (or alpha
tocopherol)? The study said no.

The big advantage for having fat-soluble antioxidants would be to
prevent  cancers I think. Protecting the long-chain FA in the cell walls.

regards

Amadeus
(real hot over here)