BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 09:58:57 -0800
This was listed on a genealogy list I sub to.  It might be interesting to
you preservation types in NYC.  I love old diaries but don't think this one
is for me.  Might give some insight to some of those old buildings, or
maybe they are all gone by now.  Ruth

o 1891 Handwritten New York City Diary; Item # 2510182152
Auction ends: Feb-26-03 19:42:30 PST; Seller: diaries
This diary is a cloth-covered tan diary, about 3" x 5" closed. I
looked for the name of the author, but can't seem to find it. I
know a lot about him, just can't find his name. He seems to be a
builder or someone who does remodeling and lived in or near New
York City during 1891. He usually lists the street address for
most of the jobs he's working on at the time. The diary is
practically full. The diary starts out with him either building
or remodeling a Tabernacle in town and many pages are devoted to
writing about it, as well as other very interesting things:
"Ed R meets the architect to decide on decorations for back of
pulpit. . . Lew L., two sweeds [sic] and I work all day at the
Tabernacle. Part of the carpenters off and they commence to lay
a paper floor. . . Pay night, give up $5.00 to the Union
Delegates. Mob in New Orleans kill 11 Italians. . . mom looses
her case trying to break Ray HAMILTON's will. . . The grip [sic]
is raging again. . . Work all day at Park Ave. near 62nd St.
New York. Varnishing in hall on 5th floor. . . The Italian
minister at Washington recalled on account of New Orleans riot.
Worked all day at the Tabernacle on the plastic ornaments,
weather threatening. Visitor falls through a hole in the floor.
Work at the Tabernacle all day. Delegate DAVIS calls on us.
P. T BARNUM died yesterday. . . Pay night. Italy threatens to
take away the legation and give minister PORTER his passport.
They begin tuning the Organ. . . Go to see Lydia THOMPSON in the
Dazler at the park in evening. . . No work at the shop, go over
to New York to 84th Street and Amsterdam and stop at Washington
Market on my way down. . . Bicycle parade in prospect park in
Aft. . . . Work all day at 126 Delancy St. New York in a tenant
house among bugs of all kinds. . . seen a little girl run over
by a truck. . . work all day at Delancy St. We get 4th floor
ready for paper hanging. Weather very warm. We see a street
fight on the way home. . . Big fire raging at Jacksonville
Florida. . . Street dug out for Cable road. . . building blown
up and set a fire in Park Place about noon. . . Balamacidia is
defeated in Chili. . .  five democrats start for the Saratoga
convention, two train loads from Brooklyn. . . there is a new
street commissioner appointed in New York in the place of
BEATRIX. . . Register for voting and get examined for the Royal
Arcanum. . . Maria calls me up at 4:00 am to go for doctor, the
girl is born. . . Emma has a rupture. . . Brooklyn has a water
famine. . . big fire at Court and Harrison last night, no water
to fight it, they get the water started today. . . ground broke
for a bridge over the Hudson. . ." He also mentions many names
such as: George SHERMAN, Miss POLLICK, Lydia THOMPSON, Dock
BARTELL, Dr. LEWIS, COSGROVE, Gov. HILL, Dr. ABBOTT, CAREY
Bros., H. C. HODKINS, D. H. SMITH, TERWILIGER, George TIFFANY,
Will TARBOX, Ira HARRIS, and F. W. ABELL. There are more names,
but for many he just uses initials. Places mentioned: Newburgh,
Greenwood, Brooklyn, Mohawk Valley, Talmadge, Washington,
Saratoga, Fort Hamilton, Bath Beach, Coney Island, Albany,
Hyndsville, Lawyerville, Cobleskill, Manhattan beach, and
Prospect park. There is much more.
  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2510182152
--
Ruth Barton