BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:23:50 -0500
> As an architect, I use a special subtracting calculator
> when reviewing contractors'

As a contractor I use a special calculator that makes it impossible for the architect to ever know if I am adding or subtracting. It works real good when I want to explain why we left $50,000 off the last requisition, or that the brick wall is 3" off in the upper left corner of the parapet. Sort of like a double sided coin, though, or a double edged sword.

So I go to Poland to a histo presto conference and we decide to send along a bag of give-away credit-card size calculators with the company name imprinted on them. The calculators were cheap because 60% of them were defective. If you bent them in your hand the numbers would change all by themselves and you did not even have to touch any buttons. We went through the whole batch and threw out the defective ones -- we never deliver subquality product, unlike our calculator supplier. At the conference a group of HS kids, mostly cute girls with big friendly smiles for the American goof who was too big and fat and broke 17th century chairs when he sat in them, found out I was giving away pens, that did work real good, and calculators. They cleaned us out of goodies in about 15 minutes. It was like trick or treat. I felt really really good for a few minutes being able to deliver this technology to a group of kids who were incredibly hungry. Next day I was in cardiac care.

Then there was the kid on the beach in Acapulco who begged me for the broken kite.

This whole nationalist idea about rejecting illegal aliens is bullcrap.... we are all born aliens.

][<en [feeling subversive again]
׫)ڶXxl^w(}?܅zb
iil&cn܆+޳Vjy板m