Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:30:10 +0530
Its very unusual to have the partition info changed on the fly,have you
checked the system for viruses?I had the same problem earlier,and had the
Sircam virus on the disk,try the sircam fix,it is known to wipe away
information on the drive,so be very careful,I lost the data but had a
back-up,as far as I know,you cannot restore the partition information
_normally_.If its a boot sector virus,try restoring the boot sector using
fdisk/mbr...Its used as a gateway,you might want to check the services on
it...with Win98,its worth a try...

Best,
Mandar Naik

Hello

     I had a problem with a Gateway computer a couple of months ago at a
local business.  The computer was very unstable and during the course of my
analysis I noticed that when I ran FDISK the partition had been changed from
DOS to Non-DOS.  I tried everything I could think of to fix it (instead of
writing here) and finally ended up changing the hard drive.
     Today, I get a call from our local bank with a computer problem.  The
computer is a Gateway, the same age as the other one.  It has the same
problem as the one before.  The computer would boot, go into Windows 98 but
as soon as you moved the mouse, the screen would go blank.  I ran FDISK on
this one and the DOS partition had been changed to Non-DOS.

What has caused this problem?
Is there a way to change the partition back without loosing the data on the
drive?

Thanks for your help
Jim Cook
J&J Computers