From:
Charlene Kull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlene Kull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:27:36 -0500

Here is a summary of the remarks regarding my posting on Campbell's Soup's list of gluten-free items. Thanks to everyone who wrote!

1. Did you know that many of the Progresso soups are gf? I have been eating them without any negative reaction or ill effects. They don't have a listing, but say that all of their soups will clearly state on the label if an allergen is included. I have noticed that some do say
wheat flour or wheat starch, so you do have to read. Of course, the obvious ones with pasta are out, too, but I have really come to like the Southwestern Corn Chowder. (Another person wrote that she loves their mushroom soup, and their chicken and wild rice.

2. Another wrote that she was glad to learn about Progresso because she used mushroom and French onion soups for casseroles and stews. She also said that dry Lipton Onion Soup mix is also gluten-free.

3. You can hit more than just the soups.(at the stores) Have you found the commercial food
listings at delphiforums.com and enabling.org? They are loaded with big name products that we can eat! I use them all time and they are updated regularly. You can download them to your computer and print them out, pdf format. You can also try reading labels, then if it looks safe, call the phone number on the back to confirm. There's lots of great products out there for us. For
example, all Del Monte canned fruits and veggies are GF. There's much more.

4. Someone suggested I go to Google and ask questions about gluten-free products and I "will get more information than you can imagine and that goes for any subject."
http://www.google.com/

5. I also learned about: an announcement only list on Yahoo called CeliACTIONetwork. Each
week they all email and write to a different company to comment on their gf policies. "We may praise them, give suggestions, tell them that they are loosing our business etc. The idea is that we need to impress the companies that we count in the marketplace and that it makes good business sense to work with us rather than toss away our business."

6. Another wrote "but I buy 90% of my stuff at regular supermarkets. Corn flakes, waffles, all kinds of broth based soups (Healthy Choice is one brand, there are others), bean thread noodles, rice noodles, frozen and fresh veggies are all available.)

I thought corn flakes had some flour. NO??????

7. Go to http://www.csaceliacs.org/. They sell a gluten free product listing. It lists lots of products off the shelf from name brands across the country. It helped me a lot.

8. One person wrote that they were disappointed by the list from Campbell Soups. :

"Except for a couple soups, all the rest was juice and salsa! I knew about the pasta sauces and the canned meat. So the list didn't do a whole lot for me. BTW, most of Ragu's sauces are also GF including the cheese/alfredo one.

There are a lot of things you can buy. Regular Spam, Most Hormel products including tamales, dinty moore stew, Castlebery stew, most canned veggies are only veggies and water and salt when you read the label. Most of Hormels fully cooked entries are gF, I think one or two aren't. The others are just in juice and instructions say to thicken yourself to make a gravy. Boarhead cold cuts - pickle loaf. Ardmore or close to that name (Winn Dixie) cold cuts are GF."

And then a few just commiserated about grocery shopping. That helps too - a little sympathy goes a long way. Thanks so much for all your help!

Charlene   (Guess I need to buy a pda too.)