From:
Mike Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:39:06 -0800
Hi Lynn,

On a Compaq system, 1L 3S beeps indicates "System ROM bad; system is
running in FailSafe Boot Block Mode.  Compaq recomends reflashing the
ROM.

Also, on Compaq systems the beeps occur at the same time as all
keyboard lights are flashing.  Does your system have any lights that
flash at startup, i.e. keyboard, power/hard drive, etc.

What BIOS does the Dell system use?

When did it first start to occur?  After processor swap?  After
flashing the bios? or something else?

Not sure if Dell is similar enough with Compaq but it might point you
in the right direction...

Mike
--- Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope someone here knows what this is....
>
> I've been scouring the 'net but come up empty-handed.
>
> It's:
>
> 1 - long, followed by 3 short, beeps. I still get the regular, single
> POST beep just before my splash screen starts.
>
> I even listened over & over to be sure it wasn't 1-2-1..... it's
> definitely 1 long, 3 short.
>
> It's the Dell Dim. XPS-T 450. I now have a Powerleap Celeron 1.3Ghz
> in it as well as a Promise controller for my 100GB HD. Have a DVD &
> CD-burner, too. Original Voodoo3 (I have a Geforce 3 to go in but
> don't want to add to the stew).  Board is Intel (440BX), BIOS is
> Phoenix 4.0-6.  I'm flashed to the last BIOS available from Dell,
> A11.
>
> I've reseated the memory & video card. Tried it with Sandra, Hot CPU
> Test Lite (6 hour test/burn-in/"defect-detect"), PCPitstop-- all say
> there's nothing wrong. What is going on here?  It's disturbing
> because I can't find this code & worry about my data either being
> corrupted at some point or the whole deal possibly going down- what
> is this code???
>
> Hope someone here from PCBuilders can help- or another person who's
> been through this?
>
> Thank you for your time & interest,
>
> Lynn Tracy
>
>             Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                     Digest mode - visit our web site:
>                    http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                     support at our newest website: