From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:34:36 -0800
On 30 Jan 2003, at 8:48, James Maki wrote:

> David,
>
> Sorry, I forget you're not looking over my shoulder! :)
> See below for comments/answers.

  OK, that eliminates one simple possibility.  Good.

> > 2.  You have something that will answer DHCP requests, but these are never
> > making it to the network because of some problem with the card or
> > its driver or similar.
>
> The equipment came without software, manuals or support (it is an old laptap
> with 24 MB memory and a 1.2 gig hard drive -- only Win 95 will install). The
> hardware included two Xircom CreditCard Ethernet Adapter IIps pcmcia cards.
> I have no idea if they work or how to check them. I downloaded the drivers
> from driversguide.com because it seems Xircom was bought out by Intel and
> they do not support this model on their website.
>
> My problem lies in that I don't know where to start. Is it a hardware
> problems or is it a software problem? I was looking for help to make sure I
> had Win 95 properly configured before even thinking about spending the money
> to replace the network card.

  So we need to toubleshoot the network card, its driver, and its connection
to the switch.

  Network ports normally have at least two (sometimes three) indicator
lights or LEDs.  You should be able to find these on the switch port, and
probably also on the network card.
  If there are two, one should be labelled "Link" and should be on solid
when the cable is connected and both switch and PC are turned on.
  The other should be labelled "Activity", and it should flash whenever the
interface is sending or receiving traffic -- such as when the laptop asks
if there's a DHCP server aound.
  Do you see these?

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website: