From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:30:01 +1000
At 18:25 -0400 13/10/02, Hilary McClure wrote:

>As Andrew (I think) has pointed out, people today are eating only the
>muscle meat, not the depot fat, subcutaneous fat, organ-cushioning fat,
>bone marrow, and fatty organs--all of which are saturated

No point quoting Andrew's falsehood and claiming it as fact.
Here are some SFA:MFP:PFA ratios for organs

Bone marrow: 2:6:1
Brain: 3:3:2
Heart: 1:1:1
Kidney: 2:1:1
Lungs: 3:2:1
Pancreas: 2:2:1

These items are extremely low in saturated fats compared with
other areas of the carcass.

I have used Cordain's kangaroo profile:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0008&L=paleodiet&F=&S=&P=416
to try to determine the overall fat profile of the carcass.
I have applied the following ratios of S:M:P to the data presented.
Where there was doubt as to the ratios I have arbitrarily increased
the proportion of saturated fat.

muscle: 2:1:1
bones: 2:6:1
organs: 2:2:1
GI tract: 2:2:1
blood: 2:2:1
marrow: 2:6:1
brain: 3:3:2
skin: 3:1:1
storage fat: 11:6:1

By my estimate the ratio of S:M:P is around 8:5:3. This is including
the ENTIRE carcass, all the fat deposits, all the fat in the skin,
organs, marrow and brain.

Also note that if the hunter discards three quarters of the muscle meat
and favours the fatty portions, the ratio of saturated fat becomes 3:2:1.

Compare this to the ratio of S:M:P in beef as 10:10:1 from the USDA database.

 ...R.