From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:42:47 EST

Summary of responses to alternatives to Axid and Prevacid. Thanks to all who
responded.
1. Prilosec
2. Zantac75, i use to use axid too and found it no longer worked for me, but
the zantac75 works great.  (See # 9 at the end of this posting re Zantac.)
3. Aciphex and sometimes 150mg zantac, with prescription sulcrafate.
4. One person recommended Nexium, but I (Linda) called the company and they
said they cannot guarantee it being gluten-free and recommend we not take it.
5. Protonix is good & GF.  BTW I had similar experience; I have found a good
surgeon & plan to get a Laparoscopic Nissen (anti-reflux) surgery this
Spring.
6. You might consider a different approach.  Many of the symptoms of GERD are
the same as low stomach acid or hypochloridia/achlorhydria.  Therefore, you
might try Betaine HCL to see if your problem is low stomach acid.
I took Prilosec for years as prescribed by a physician for GERD.  He didn't
have a clue about what celiac disease was or how it can cause low stomach
acid.  Then I found the Prilosec was causing added hypochloridia.  It took
about a year to get over the acid-rebound physical dependence (addiction)
caused by the Prilosec.  Now with the Betaine HCL I have almost none of the
GERD symptoms the Prilosec was prescribed to prevent, but which it was
actually was causing.  And I have an additional benefit--the Glucosamine
Chondroitin that I take works, whereas it didn't without the added stomach
acid.
You may find the following sites worthwhile:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic18.htm
http://www.geocities.com/nutriflip/Diseases/Hypochlorhydria.html
http://www.medical-library.net/sites/framer.html?/sites/_hypochlorhydria.htm

7. I have used a natural remedy with a lot of success - DGL wafers - chewable
tablets that taste like licorice. They really do work; they are acid reducing.
DGL is deglycerrized licorice root (the de- glycerrized is important, as the
root alone contains a factor that raises blood pressure in certain
individuals. Once it is deglycerrized, however, the root no longer has this
property.)
Vitamin Shoppe brand DGL is gluten and allergen free:
www.vitaminshoppe.com

8. And a warning from someone who reacted to my (Linda) recommending almonds
to counteract acid indigestion. She got sick from almonds that were processed
in a plant where there is wheat. I usually find this is on the label, but
it's worth being alert to it.

9. I'm on Zantac (Ranitidine), but I had trouble with the tablets manufactured
by PARR Pharmaceuticals.  I'm OK with either Geneva or RANBAXY brands.
I've been down the line, too, with drugs losing their effectiveness, but the
bright researchers seem to come up with something new about the time I need
it.
I've had the surgery (Nissen Fundal Plication), but after 12 years, it
isn't as effective as it was at first.  It's not as major a surgery now, as
it was then.  Now they can do it through the small incisions like they do a
gall bladder removal.

Thanks. Linda