From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 08:41:45 -0700
Howard & listers:

I think the boorish behavior you describe goes back beyond E-mail lists
to the advent of Usenet, first on dial-up networks using, say, the UUCP
protocol, then on the Internet.  Usenet was more-or-less invented by
students and its original denizens were students.  Thus, a rather
no-holds-barred philosophy if discussion style held sway.  Eventually,
of course, things got out-of-hand and thus Usenet etiquette was born.
In all but the "alt ...." hierarchy, it is rigidly enforced.  For some
reason, such rigid enforcement mechanisms have not become popular on
listservs.

Mike Freeman < K 7 U I J >