Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:39:49 -0500
If you can't get the C:\> prompt-- you can't type SCANREG nor type SCANREG /RESTORE.
Not getting a C:\> prompt means no C: drive.

Sounds like the Hard drive is gone or going. The first clue is the message "no hard disk" which SHOULD BE SEEN in the BIOS SETUP.

If you can get to the BIOS setup see if the Hard Disk is recognized.

If it's recognized in BIOS, use a boot disk to FDISK and FORMAT and install an OS(operating system) unless your interested in what is on the hard drive. But apparently you can't get the OS to come up.

Be aware that bumps and clunks indicates Hard drive problems while Squeals indicate fans with dried out bearings.

Perhaps this is why the Pc was no longer used. Also Hard drives can freeze up when setting for periods of time. (The head can freeze to the disk because of trash)

Mike Michel

On Wed 01/29, Larry Fisk  wrote:
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Toshiba Satellite Laptop

Diane;
type: "scanreg /restore" (no quotes)
space between scanreg and /restore
then you should get a list of registry backups
to chose from. Just might work.
<>< Larry Fisk
         Fisk Computers
           Fruitvale, Idaho