From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:38:48 -0500
If you are changing the MB soon,(is that what you said?), I would troubleshoot
the next one instead, if necessary.

It may be an ACPI problem in the BIOS that is only noticeable in XP since
XP will go in the BIOS and try to control things there, or failing that, take
control of the BIOS functions and overrule it completely.
Look in your event viewer for ACPI errors.
Are you experiencing unusual behavior with a BIOS that is dated later than
January 1, 1999?
See: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q314088
*How Windows XP Determines ACPI Compatibility

It could be your XP HAL layer got installed or recognized wrong.
The only time I had this as a HAL problem, it was because I forced the
wrong HAL during a test install to see the symptoms.
That is "generally" (IMHO) a re-install only type of repair since
it is one of the things XP does first when installing... (XP has been known
to get this wrong...)  (Before YOU re-install, check to be sure I am
right about it being the "only" way...)

You could have a power management setting wrong(?)

                                  Rick Glazier

From: "Brian Masarik" <[log in to unmask]>

>I have what I hope is an easy question to answer. I was running Windows 98 and when i would shutdown the computer, when it was
suppose to say "you may turn off you computer now" would automatically power off for me. Now I am running Windows XP Pro and it will
not shut the power off automatically. I like that feature and would like to turn it on for XP.

>have FIC SD-11 motherboard...(soon changing thought)
>AMD athlon 600 Mhz
>case:?? just says CS on it

>P.S. I have removable hard drive racks so I can swap back and forth between my windows 98 and XP, 98 STILL does it so that
eliminates anything in BIOS