Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:48:39 -0500
At 02:18 PM 1/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I need to know which ISP will give me cable or DSL internet service *and*
>allow me to host a web site on my PC system.

The reason they do this to make sure your not getting more than your "fair
share" of bandwidth. By hosting from your own hard drive, they have no way
to limit the "possible unlimited" bandwidth you could use, no way to stop
you from hosting a FTP server that could transfer "gigabytes" of data
daily. For that, you have to pay extra. Look at the costs to host a web
site someplace else... It's guided by bandwidth usage. Once you use up the
bandwidth you paid for, your charged extra over and above.

Once our small town got cable access, one of the most popular activities
the "kids" were involved in, was putting up their own "warez" ftp servers.
At times, this small percentage of folks were responsible for  80% of the
traffic thru the ISP. In one reply I read to your question, it stated that
the ISP has no idea what was going thru your computer... don't believe a
word of it. In the above instance, the ISP called up these people and told
them about the Terms of Service, and said that if they didn't stop hosting
the FTP sites, (and mentioned the illegal transferring of pirated movies
and software) that their account would be immediately closed).

In my opinion, it shouldn't matter how much you use... but it's their
business, they get charged for how much their customers use... so they pass
that cost back.

Volkard Linke