Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:37:34 -0400
At 12:36 PM 10/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings Fellow List Members!
>
>I am looking into getting two computers connected through a phone line
>network, mostly because I think this is the cheapest way, and we don't
>want to spend much money, just share printers and an internet connection.
>What are the requirements for one of these networks? Will we need a Home
>Phone Network Adapter for each computer, or just the host? Both computers
>are running WinXP Home, and have a 56K modem. Thanks, have a nice day.

Yes... one network card for each computer will be necessary. As for
requirements, a PII machine with at least 64MB should handle it. When you
go to install the network card on the slowest machine, I'd take the modem
out of it and use ICS for that computers internet. On the fastest
one,  just share the internet connection. As for telephone line sharing...
I've had one in my home for several years now, and you need to have both
computers on the same "telephone number" line. You can use the same line
for both the network and your internet connection. I run, (on the main
computer) the line from the wall to the "line" port of the network card,
then a line from the "telephone" port on the network card to the "line" on
the modem.

Volkard Linke