From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 02:01:22 -0800
On 27 Nov 2002, at 16:15, Peter Shkabara wrote:

> I am a teacher and computer engineer by training, but keeping up with
> the changing technology gets difficult at times. So I turn to the list
> for information some of you may already have researched. Can someone
> explain to me the difference between the Pentium 4 and the Xeon version?
> I know that the Xeon is designed to support multiple processors, but
> can't the regular P4 do that too? I do remember something about the Xeon
> supporting up to 8 processors, but I could be wrong - my memory is
> sometimes volatile. Any technical input would be appreciated. I will be
> teaching an assembly language class next semester and I want to brush up
> on the latest processor developments.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Peter

  Somewhere around the shift from P3 to P4, Intel announced that it was
dropping multi-processor capability from its regular-line porcessors.  If
you want multiple P4 CPUs, they *must* be Xeons.

  Oddly enough, about the same time, AMD was re-introducing this capability
to its line, which it had let lapse some years earlier....

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com