From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 02:01:22 -0800
On 28 Nov 2002, at 0:34, Jose E. Dominguez wrote:

> Is there a way to convert a BNC type connector to RJ45?

  Yes, but there's a bit more to it than just the *style& of connector.  BNC
has a single connector and a ground; RJ-45 has 4 pairs, of which one is used
for transmit (+ground) and one for receive (+ground).  A converter is going
to have some actual circuitry in it.

  One of my old hubs has 8 RJ-45 ports for end devices, and a single BNC
connector.  The intention of the design is to use the BNC connection to
"uplink" onto a co-ax backbone, but it doesn't matter -- the hub will work
as a converter between the co-ax physical media and the RJ-45 ports.
  I don't know if you can still find devices like this new, but it was a
common enough configuration five years or so ago, so you might find them
used/surplus.

  Some of my NICs have a 15-pin AUI connector on them, in addition to RJ-45
and/or BNC.  AUI is a kind of internal interface standard -- you can buy
external transceiver modules that will convert the AUI interface to your
choice of standard media, including RJ-45 and BNC.  An AUI gender-changer
would let you mount two transceivers (of different types, in this case) back-
to-back.  It would be expensive, though -- I don't think I've seen external
transceiver modules for less than about $40.  The gender-changer might be
something you'd have to cobble up yourself....

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com