From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:09:54 -0500
On Sunday 03 November 2002 07:24 am, Brett Getz wrote:
> Thanks guys for all of your input about modems in Mandrake 9.0.  So I am
> going to go with an external modem for Linux.  I would go with cable modem
> connection but my area only supports one way.  I really think that is a
> waste of money since you still have to dial up to use the internet.  So if
> anybody knows of any external modems out there that work well with Linux
> Mandrake 9.0 let me know thanks Brett Getz...

Brett:
The most bullet-proof way to go is an external serial modem. Hook it up to a
com port (usually COM2), power up, verify that the port is active in BIOS,
and away you go. No drivers required. They just work. Pricey, though -- about
$90 at the local stores. You'll also need a serial cable if you don't have
one in your scrap box. US Robotics is the most commonly recommended, but I'm
very happy with my Zoom 2761.

About the only drawbacks to external serial modems are (1) they add clutter
(yet another power wart, some more cables, and you do have to put it some
place -- I keep mine on top of the tower case); (2) only a masochist would
attempt to use one with a laptop; (3) they may well become obsolete sometime
in the future (the WinTel Great Plan is to do away with serial ports in the
future -- along with floppies and parallel ports -- in favor of USB 2.0)

I haven't mentioned USB modems because I haven't any experience with them;
they may well be an excellent solution. Be careful, though, as many of them
are winmodems.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby