From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:03:43 -0400
Ken Engelhart wrote:

>Don't agree.  e.g. We wouldn't have found too much starchy and sweet food
>eating fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, nuts and seeds in equitorial
>Africa.  If we eat the same type of foods from other parts of the world, we
>still won't get too much sugar and starch and will avoid insulin resistance.
>If we do eat grains, tubers, legumes and milk and sugars we will get insulin
>resistance problems.

Tropical fruits and tubers would have been available.  These are good
sources of starch and sugars.  Yams are native to Africa, and  waterlily
roots are found in many places around the world for example.  Here's an
interesting web page on the use of the latter, by Australian aborigines:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2970/w_lily.htm

This is a very interesting web site, incidentally, for addressing some
of Andrew's questions about specific plant foods available to
aborigines.  The bulguruw is another one :
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2970/bulguruw.htm , but I have no
idea whether that plant, or something similar, exists in Africa.

Todd Moody