From:
Ken Engelhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:05:31 -0400
The paleo diet gives us the null hypothesis that the best thing to eat is
meat, fish, eggs, fruit and vegetables.  You are correct that our
discussions in this group lead to variations on the this hypothesis.  For
example, some favour lean meat and others say that it doesn't matter or that
fat meat is better.  Some favour more vegetables and others less.  Some feel
that organic food is required and others don't.  There are debates on the
importance of fish oil or the perils of legumes.  But we all agree that
pizza is not the place to start.  So as a null hypothesis it works pretty
well. If there were no room to debate the variations, we wouldn't have this
Support List.

It would be extraordinary if non-paleo foods were healthy, because we
evolved eating something else.  The idea that our bodies would have evolved
for 2 million years eating foods A,B,C, D and E but would operate most
effectively eating food F, is unlikely.  We would expect that eating food F
would lead to health problems, and I think a fair view of the evidence is
that they do.  The proof that a food is healthy must come from studies in
peer reviewed journals.  However, many of the nutrition studies are
epidemiological studies which are hard to do.  So a lot of them have serious
methadological errors.  If one study said that pizza was good for you I
wouldn't start eating it.  If study after study led to the same result, I
would.  (I haven't  eaten pizza for a while and I am really quite fond of
it.)  Ken