From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:30:17 -0500
Thanks for the replies folks.  Barry, I don't think that I can install Win98
and get it on the D: patition, because I want to use NTFS for the WinXP
partition.  Since Win98 can't see this NTFS partition, it will assume that
there is no C: drive already taken by the other operating system and use
that letter for its partition.

This wouldn't be a problem, except that I can't get WinXP to take the C:
partition, after it sees that Win98 is there with an active FAT32 partition.
Even if I install WinXP, so it does take the C: designation, it moves itself
to D: and assigns C: to Win98, after Win98 is installed.

Neal's suggestion of using a different boot manager, such as BootMagic may
be the only way to get WinXP onto a C: drive and use a NTFS partition.
However, I would like not to hide the Win98 partion from XP.  There are some
advantages to being able to use at least one operating system to manage
files on both partitions.

And, Kevin, my reasons for moving to WinXP with this setup, but still
keeping a smaller Win98 partition available, are the same that Neal
mentioned.  I think it is a more stable operating system, and it clearly is
the operatings system being best supported by MS, hardware makes, and
software developers at this time (along with Win2000).  MS is making clear
that the length of time that they will continue to support Win98 is limited.

Another solution, though I don't think this is possible either, would be to
write protect the C: drive (Win98 partition) within WinXP.  The main problem
that I see is some installers will simply default to a C: for their default
pathway, and this would keep that from slipping by unnoticed.

Thanks,

John Sproule