From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:08:32 -0800
I have gone through this exercise myself. Although I gave up dual boot
quite a while ago, here is how I did what you are wanting to do. First
install Win98 to its C: drive. Then install XP what it will call the D:
drive. After booting XP, use disk manager to remap the C: drive to be E:
or something higher. Then map the D: drive to be C: drive and reboot.
Now the C: drive is an available drive so you can map the D: drive to be
C:. It can't take effect immediately since you are booted to it, but it
should stick after a reboot. The only problem, and it could be a BIG
problem, is that some of your system utilities are pointing to the C:
drive. This can be fixed by patching the registry - assuming you want to
do that. In the end you will have the system the way you want it. Win98
has a C: drive when it boots, and so does XP. It is a lot of work
getting everything to work right, but if you are really motivated, it
can be done - I have done it! Was it worth it? I am not sure, but it is
no longer a problem for me since I have no need for Win98 any more - XP
does it all and even crashes on me once in a while to remind me of my
Win98 days.

Peter
The NoSpin Group