Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:38:49 -0400
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]> posted this:
>>>Regarding the fact that steroid residues appeared in the athlete's urine --
doesn't this just prove that the hormones were excreted???  Any evidence of
any significant percentages remaining in one's tissue or body fat?  Perhaps
it's possible that even if the hormones are ultimately excreted, they can
still have any effect on one's body.

Reply:
Any horones you ingest will have an effect on your body, regardless of
whether you excrete them. Your body produces and excretes hormones every day
and these have profound effects on your physiology.

Adrienne said:
>>I'd just like to see more reasearch on
>>this.....if eating hormone filled poultry could "make you fail a urine test or
perhaps grow unwanted breast tissue" as the quote states -- you'd think that
women would be clamoring for it rather than undergoing comparatively pricey
boob
job operations.

Reply:
The effects of hormone therapy, whether undertaken consciously (by
prescription) or unconsciously (through hormone laced meat) will have
adverse effects. The unwanted breast tissue grown is not attractive, it is
of the tumorous type!  Or it may cause children to menstrate at unhealthy
and premature ages.

Recently research on the long term effects of estrogen replacement therapy
revealed a greater incidence of cancer. You don't get to choose how or where
these hormones effect your body.  Hermaphrodite frogs and other maldeveloped
species have arisen as a result of misguided animal husbandry practices and
use of unsafe industrial chemicals, including estrogenic hormones and
xenoestrogens from industry, (particularly chlorine and chlorine by products
as well as plastics). There is evidence that drug residues make their way
into tap water, causing developmental problems  and birth defects for
animals.

When people drink tap water containing chlorine and chlorine by products
(known endocrine disruptors), including THMs (trihalomethanes), topped off
with VOC (volatile organic chemicals), ) PCBs, MTBE, lead, they may excrete
some of the residues but not before these chemicals cause their endocrine
sytems to go awry, increasing their risk for breast, colon, and bladder
cancer,  heart disease, giving birth to children with birth defects and
developmental disorders... A growing body of research indicates, for
example, that THMs in tap water may be the cause of many miscarriages.

Buying meat from small local farmers who raise the animals in a healthy way,
without drugs, will provide you with healthier, safer, cleaner meat. It is
better for you, the local economy, and the environment.

Why would you want to eat meat from animals raised under insanely crowded
conditions, fed growth promoting steroids and antibiotics (which can lead to
antibiotic resistance in humans), which are fed an unnatural diet of grains
that favors the growth of large colonies of e-coli in their intestines?
These are not healthy animals. They are more likely to carry disease. Why
not vote for cleaner food with your dollars? Buy clean, locally-rasied,
pasture fed meat.

If you want to read more about the hazards of factory farmed meat, I suggest
you read Jo Robinson's book, Why Grassfed Is Best and visit her web site
<www.eatwild.com> to find a farmer in your area. It will cost less than
buying by mail or from a store. Dr. Ron Schmid's book (check it out of the
library): Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine has a little bit of info
on hormones in meat too.

I sent you two published articles on grassfed meat and the benefits of it
for you, the local economy, and the environment. If anyone else wants the
articles, please    E-MAIL ME PRIVATELY with this subject line: request for
grassfed meat articles.

Hope this helps,

Rachel