Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 07:38:49 -0400
rick and/or linda strong <[log in to unmask]> posted:
>>I have started getting cramps which last for a minute or two in a finger
every day or two; perhaps that's a symptom of the very low salt diet.

Reply:
Muscle cramps can come from lack of sufficient potassium, magnesium, and
calcium. Perhaps you are not eating enough vegetables (esp. dark leafy
greens) and fruits. I doubt it's from lack of salt. Most primitive diets
contain eight to ten times as much potassium as sodium, according to paleo
experts. To get a high ratio like this, you need to avoid adding salt to
food and stop buying salted foods, or use salt incredidibly sparingly, while
simultaneously eating very generous amounts of fresh produce with your meat.

Keith posted:
>>I have wondered whether the use of "sea salt" or any of
the other "less processed" salts that do not contain added iodine leave one
at risk for maladies attributable to iodine defic

Reply:
Eat sea vegetables several times a week or daily if that concerns you. You
eat dulse and wild nori raw, with a brief soak; add them to salads... or
saute them with greens; or buy sea vegeable flakes and sprinke them over
food at the table (where you used to use salt). You can use the sea weeds
far more liberally since they are, by volume, far lower in sodium than salt.

Rachel Matesz,
The Healthy Cooking Coach