From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 14:53:11 -0600
>From what I understand,  I think it was because mcdon does fry in veg.
>oil but may also use some kind of beef flavoring or derivative added to the
>fries.

Exactly.  It's like a bad imitation of the "tastes great!/less filling!"
beer ad of yore.  The vegetarians are screaming, "BEEF!" and McDonald's is
saying, "beef FLAVORING!" (and, hopefully, throwing in a 'duh!' when no
one's looking; as much as I'm annoyed by McDonald's, vegetarians rub me even
harder in the wrong direction, quite frankly).

This lawsuit says a lot.  For one, yes, America is lawsuit-happy.  But think
about it; for all its faults, even McDonald's has figured it out.  Taking
away the animal-factor makes things just not taste right.  Yes, yes, most of
us eat no potatoes but if yer gonna fry something, it tastes better when you
use lard and now even Uncle Sam has realized that vegetable shortening is
worse for you than (gasp!) lard.  But Ronny McD knows full well that fries
fried in Crisco do NOT taste as good as fries fried in good, ol-fashioned
lard so what do they do?  Use vegetable shortening but sprinkle in some beef
flavoring.  You almost can't blame them for that.

It all comes down to natural vs. fake.  Lard is saturated but it's natural.
I know, I know, most slaughtered animals are screwed with but even lean,
wild animals have fat here and there and early humans ate it and even modern
humans did until very, very recently.  But low-fat fever has people eating
partially-hydrogenated frankenfat which is even worse than what it's
replacing.  It is one viscious cycle!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO