From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 10:46:14 -1000
I wonder if these sweet potatoes are the same as okinawan sweet
potatoes, which are about as popular here (Honolulu, Hawai'i).  You can
buy them, already steamed and sometimes sliced for you, at a hundred or
so different places around here.  If they are the same, then they are
purple rather then the orange color that US mainland sweet potatoes
typically are.  Sweet potatoes are interesting because they are not
nearly as carby (so to speak) as their sweetness would suggest.  They
have a GI, I believe (need to look it up again) much lower than potato.
Maybe there's something in there that's particularly good for you?  Hm,
should eat more of them! :)  If eating too many orange sweet potatoes
gives you an orange tint, I wonder if I can get a purple one off of the
sweet potatoes here!

Erik