From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:01:46 -0700
> Cattle production subsidizes corn production in the
> U.S.  Without feed lots
> there would be no market for corn deemed "unfit for
> human consumption"
> because of disease producing contamination.  As this

Ray! Nice to have you join in on this.

I initiated this thread wondering what would happen if
someone converted a cornfield to grazing. Are you
aware of anyone who has experimented with this? I
haven't found anyone so far. I'm curious about how one
would go about this - would it take many years, or
could someone simply raze the cornfield and then plant
meadow grasses? Would the natural restorative grazing
cycle begin immediately, or would there be a period of
adjustment?

(This part may seem a 'little' off-topic.)

Here's the origin of my curiousity. I am an avid
gardener. For the past couple of years my interest has
been in 'edible landscape'. While investigating this
subject I ran across a growing 'movement' known for
advocating a 'no mow' environment. (I've also heard it
refered to as 'Wildlife Gardening'). In other words
they want everyone to junk their lawnmowers and let
nature take it's course. The theory is that your yard
would first become a field, then a meadow, then a
thicket, and finally, a 'forest' environment.

(Here's where we get back on-topic :)

IF this movement gains adherants (and environmental
pressures may eventually 'force' the issue), it might
be an opportunity to get larger property owners to put
their land to good use, and start grazing some
animals. If I didn't think I'd get sued by my
homeowners association, I'd probably start tomorrow :)
But, that's another story.

http://health.yahoo.com