From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:48:24 -0700
> When a Crop Becomes King
> By MICHAEL POLLAN
>
> Most of the animals we
> eat
> (chickens, pigs and cows) today subsist on a diet of
> corn,
> regardless of whether it is good for them. In the
> case of beef
> cattle, which evolved to eat grass, a corn diet
> wreaks havoc on
> their digestive system, making it necessary to feed
> them
> antibiotics to stave off illness and infection. Even

You know, the usual vegetarian retoric is that it
takes tons of corn to create a pound of beef, blah,
blah, blah.....

I wonder how many head of cattle a field the size of a
'standard' corn field could produce if they just cut
down the corn and planted wild grasses in it's place?
After all, grass (and scrub) tends to replenish itself
without too much interference. In fact, I have read
testimonials from ranchers who claim their land has
actually *improved* over time because of the grazing
animals. Just nature's way, I guess.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. There
is really only a small amount of arible land capable
of producing ag products. On the other hand, there is
literally *millions* of acres (especially in the
American west) that could support grazing.
(Unfortunately, most of it is 'locked up' by the
do-gooder Hollywood vegetarian liberals who don't know
their.... well you know -- rant over).

I recently went 'camping' in the central Idaho
mountains. Thousands of head of cattle grazing in lush
meadows with spectacular mountains in the background.
I'm sure it doesn't look too much different than it
did 50,000 years ago when wild bison summered there.
Boy, would I like to get some of that beef......

http://autos.yahoo.com