From:
Cynthia Kupper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Kupper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:33:45 -0500

Hello List Mates,

I believe that unity can be interpreted in a number of ways. Despite my
reference to the attempt to form a coalition several years ago, most
people assumed that we would be one group. While a wonderful idea, we
all realize it is not a reality at this time...but a coalition should be
possible.

I believe that the strengths of each group can be enhanced by working
together. Where important, our voices would be heard as one. We could
support each group's strengths and if desired help to lessen our own
weaknesses. Sometimes change is a difficult thing to do, but in this
situation I believe it is a positive move.

Since my original post to this list, I have not seen any posts from the
leaders of the other national organizations. I did receive private
correspondence from Elaine Monarch from Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF),
expressing a desire to talk. How can we consider ourselves good leaders
if we are not listening to you -- the people we serve as stated in all
of our missions?

I suggest that if the national leaders are not willing to discuss a
coalition (or what ever name it is given), then it might be accomplished
by the leaders of individual support groups or those who want to see it
happen. I have received 2 offers from groups to help find a location and
an independent facilitator. (These groups are not associated with GIG,
except by a desire to see the groups work closer together.).

If you want to see a coalition of celiac support groups, please contact
me, I will add your name to a list and continue to find a location in
the spring for an initial meeting.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Exec. Director, Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG)

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director
Gluten Intolerance Group
206-246-6652